IO Podcast|Episode 23
Chiara Barchiesi—Chilean congresswoman and founder of the Republican Party—explains that citizens rejected the previous constitutional draft because it ignored the country’s reality and key principles such as the rule of law. She contends that the Republican Party—which has 22 of 51 advisers that will write the new constitutional draft—will work for the people and their problems.
Barchiesi, who was elected when she was 24 years old, says the Republican Party is open to negotiations with leftist parties during the ongoing constitutional process. On the other hand, she contends there are principles such as freedom and private property that cannot be dismissed. Barchiesi adds that the Gabriel Boric administration lied to Chileans during the electoral campaign and they are realizing it.
- Follow Barchiesi on Twitter.
- “The Chicago Boys Are Worth Defending,” Impunity Observer.
- “Why Chile Militarized Its Northern Border,” Impunity Observer.
- “Proposed Constitution Would Be Suicide for Chile,” Impunity Observer.
- “New Constitution for Chile Puts Welfare State First,” Impunity Observer.
As we improve our quality and deepen our coverage, we wish to make the Impunity Observer financially sustainable and reader-oriented. In return, we ask that you show your support in the form of subscriptions.
Non-subscribers can read up to six articles per month. Subscribe here.